Monday, October 18, 2010

The Other You.

We are going to have a child soon. A beautiful little boy or maybe girl from a country far away. Ethiopia to be exact.

We are just starting the process...raising money...filling out applications...researching and more researching....reading books....

And my mind is constantly filled with thoughts about our child. What will he/she look like? Boy? Girl? Newborn? 1 year old?

And as much as I am picturing taking this little child for walks...watching them grow up... playing and dancing in the living room to cartoons...snuggling during the winter months and running through hoses in the summer...hearing the soft breathing of a napping infant.... I have become even more overwhelmed with this:

This baby will come into the world grieving. Losing the one thing it has been so intimately connected with for its entire existence. It's mother.

I know that at some point, Scott and I will be the only scent that this child knows. the only voices that bring security. the only heartbeats they will hear. But when our little first one comes into the world, it will only have had one heartbeat...one voice...one scent... and it wont be ours. and it will be gone.

There is something so beautiful about adoption. but there is something so tragic.

We are adopting not to fill our need to be parents. We are adopting not to complete the family circle that we long for. No. I am realizing that more and more how incredibly selfish that is.

There is a child who has a mother that does not want them. There is a child who has lost both parents to death, disease or poverty. A child who has cousins running around somewhere in the world and aunt's and uncle's and grandma's and grandpa's who share their smile, their laugh, their quirks, their bloodline. Who they will never meet.

I understand grief. I do not understand rejection. I do not understand loneliness.

So, as the reality of adoption is setting in, I am completely sobered. The feeling of responsibility is heavy on my heart. This child needs love and we will give that unconditionally. This child needs security and we will provide that. But, this child will need to heal. And this is the part that I am praying the Lord shows us how to handle.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog, Steph. I love your honesty, and you are just an incredible writer.

I especially love this post. You are going to be an amazing mom! There is one very lucky boy or girl that is about to get the biggest blessing :) I'll be praying for you guys through this journing! You are amazing!

Becca said...

i love you. i love your writing. i love your blog. you bring tears to my eyes each and every time. i'm so honored and blessed to have you in my life. ((HUGE HUGS))

ernp06 said...

i'm crying, too. so beautiful and honest. i can't wait to see where God takes your little family. and He is faithful! there is a song we used to sing at the church we went to when i was in middle school, and part of it went (talking about the Israelites in the desert), "He did not bring us out this far to take us back again. He brought us out to take us into the promised land." Blessings and healing and redemption on you, Scott, and baby Z- wherever he or she is right now.

jess said...

This is beautiful. I am so excited for you, and if you guys need adoption support, you know who to call :) Our Mya came to us this way, and words can't explain what she has done in our hearts. Praying for you, Zibells.
Your friends,
the Obees :)

Erica said...

steph- i LOVE reading your blog. you bless me more than words can say. you guys are an inspiration to so many people and i just know that God is using you in so many more ways than you can even imagine. that precious sweet child has no idea how blessed he/she is to be the one God has picked for you & scott to parent... whoever that child may be!

Sherri Bankord said...

I just read your blog for the first time tonight Stephanie. Beautiful, heartfelt, creative,inspiring, emotional. I am praying for you and Scott tonight.

Jessica said...

Steph, I couldn't get my money in the mail fast enough. I'd do anything I could to help this dream and calling that God has for you come to pass...

Truth is, no human can make this miracle happen, not God's way...God can, and will facilitate this process exactly as He sees fit for you, Scott, the child, and his/her family.

What a blessing that you get to be a part of this miracle...what a perfect couple to take this unique responsibility. What a perfect time, God's time, for the perfect child for you and Scott to be born.

I can't wait for you guys to continue changing the world around you, and prepare for a child who will do the same.

You are in my prayers--for real yo!
Love you and I better see you Thanksgiving...

Marci said...

That was so touching - May God richly bless you as you are on such an amazing journey!!!! Last year around this time we had talked and how great to hear where you are today!!!! Can't wait to hear more!
Marci Kitchen

Andrew said...

Stephanie,

this is andrew tawfik. i recently had some friends who adopted. they said that an adoption is a perfect picture of what God did for us. God takes us from this world and brings us into his family just as we are. Often we go to him through the worst of circumstances as you described, yet he embraces as His children w/o any distinction. Whenever I think about the adoption process and how much my friends crave and hope for their child, it's overwhelming to think about how much God loves us.

"he[a] predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will" Ephesians 1:5

I love the last part how it talks about how our adoption brings pleasure to God. I will be praying for you guys.

Andrew